2. I will never use culture as a noun. Unless you mistakenly believe that "culture" is something tangible and fixed, then it is only possible to culture. I will not refer to Hofstede or anyone else who treats culture-as-difference. I will continue developing the idea of culture as practice (or culture-ing as practice-ing).
3. I will develop my thesis as an autoethnography - a place to examine the messiness and contradictions of what I am experiencing and observing. I will be prepared to struggle over that one with my supervisor and I need to know how to articulate my ideas in Portuguese otherwise no-one in Portugual will believe I'm doing real research!
4. I will always turn off my e-mail alert while I am writing.
5. I will not drink so much red wine in the evening which messes up my sleeping.
6. I will not dispell the myth my kids have that I know everything.
7. I will be less tolerant of processes and projects that waste time.
8. I will not spend more than one hour a day reading other blogs or writing my own.
9. I will be unapologetically who I am every moment of every day, trying to make every moment a mindful one.
10. I will be prepared to spend less time at the computer if I meet someone who is sexy, intelligent, wise, gentle, open-minded, well-traveled and who has an ongoing interest in learning, conversations, sports, blogs and me. Oh yes - and who lives nearby!
Tags: 2006resolutions, culturalchange, autoethnography, doctorate, mindfulness, weblogs