Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sally ... are you there?

I know you will appreciate this, Sally Ann. Eight years ago we were hopping around at UAL (Universidade Autonoma de Lisboa) ... writing proposals and reports ... it didn't seem credible that no-one wouldn't get it. The whole ECTS challenge and the direction in which Higher Education was going. I still have the report that I wrote then. It looks like it could have been written in 2005. So convinced were we that people would be able to catch sight of the road ahead, if only we could put it in the right way!

Up until a few days before your 51st birthday (three years ago today and the day you died) we never wasted those days or nights when I was there to help with the practical things, like turning you over every couple of hours. Even while we went through those motions, adusting the tubes along the way, we didn't stop talking about how much there was to do in our lives, in the world, and in Higher Education in Portugal.

We - and you especially - were right. The discourse now - the Bolonha discourse - is all about new paradigms and new pedagogies. Who knows if those new paradigms are the new ones from 10, 5 or 2 years ago? Or the new ones today...or even tomorrow? These days I just get on with my own thing ... I've grown (almost) wiser and (almost) manage to keep my mouth closed. Especially as the last minute rush is on to change the curriculums.

But, hey girl! If you were here, we would appreciate one big irony together: everyone is waiting to be taught the new paradigms so they can go away and apply them!!

Thinking of you ...

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Luis Moutinho said...

yes, I have an idea about this.
Rushing to the first pre-made solution instead of working it out.
But I don't have the gift of shut up in those awkward moments...
Not wise enough, I guess!

3/30/2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Luis .. I'm only just learning to keep my mouth shut (sometimes) ...

3/30/2006 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Bill Williams said...

Thanks for sharing that conversation, Beverly. I'm posting from Maputo, revisiting for the first time 20 years after my first project in Mozambique, and very much aware that a very important part of the rather circuitous career trail which has led to me working here right now, comes from the fact I had the opportunity to come in contact with the work that you and Sally did back than. So thanks Sally and thanks Bev.

4/08/2006 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home