Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Tissa Hami

Thinking about humour reminded me of Tissa Hami, a Muslim woman stand up comic, born in Iran but who now lives and works in Boston, USA. Apparently when she walks on stage with her black robes on, the audience often shift around uncomfortably thinking that the cleaning lady has accidentally made her way on stage. She challenges every sterotype in the book, and I hear (I haven't seen her myself) is very funny.

She is part of a growing group of Muslim stand-up comics (currently performing in a show "Allah made me funny") in the US. their jokes are in-jokes for fellow-Muslims and wider jokes about living in American society, especially all the security issues they have to undergo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home