Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Relationships, visualization, contactivity

Recently I've lost a couple of blogposts. I don't know how, but they just disappeared because I'm doing too many things and trying to do them when I'm tired. It's very disheartening. Here's my second go at Ton's reflections on the Reboot 8 conference in Copenhagen. (A big thanks Ton for sharing your experience of Reboot - I really appreciate it). The three themes he identified were ones that resonate with my own practice

Relationships above Information/Technology
Ton talks about knowledge in organisations and the need to build stronger relationships around it, but it's a similar observation I have about learning in online communities. Participants and sponsorers of courses or learning events have high expectations of the information and the technology. It's not so easy to convince them that designing for interactions and relationships will bring better results than merely focusing on information and technology. I am still looking for a language to be able to talk about this dynamic between relationships and information and technology.

Visualization
V
isualization is a way of seeing patterns. "Pattern watching is much more important that the individual pieces of information when you are trying to make sense of the world around you". Pattern watching is an integral part of my teaching repertoire but I haven't got good enough yet creating visuals. Next on my own list of personal and professional development is to do do a course on drawing and visuals. If anyone knows of one, please tell me.

Contactivity
"
Technology helping you to be a social animal while on the move. Staying connected to your existing relationships and being able to spot the opportunities for new ones." This is such an important part of the mindshift with new technologies. I see in my practice how people view technology as an improved way of shifting more information. People talk of new technologies as a way of "exchanging" and "sharing" more information. But using technologies for shifting information is quite a different issue from using technologies for social connectivity. And social connectivity is where the learning is. Back to the need for developing the language for that.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ton said...

Hi Bev,

Indeed the issue of what language to use for these things is important. It's hard to word the new in the vocabulary of the existing/old. Because it leaves out the pieces of 'newness'. I am in a constant discussion about this within our org.

Ton

6/19/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Yes...oh yes. Searching for the vocabulary to talk about it ... that's a paper in itself. I (like others) also have the additional layer of finding the language to be able to talk about it in my Portuguese context.

6/19/2006 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home