Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Resolutions 2006

1. I will focus and prioritize nonstop (like Easton Ellsworth in Business Blogwire). I will say no to everything that is not related to my doctorate. The only paper I write will be for the CATAC conference in Estonia in July and the CIRN Prato conference in Italy in October.

2. I will never use culture as a noun. Unless you mistakenly believe that "culture" is something tangible and fixed, then it is only possible to culture. I will not refer to Hofstede or anyone else who treats culture-as-difference. I will continue developing the idea of culture as practice (or culture-ing as practice-ing).

3. I will develop my thesis as an autoethnography - a place to examine the messiness and contradictions of what I am experiencing and observing. I will be prepared to struggle over that one with my supervisor and I need to know how to articulate my ideas in Portuguese otherwise no-one in Portugual will believe I'm doing real research!

4. I will always turn off my e-mail alert while I am writing.

5. I will not drink so much red wine in the evening which messes up my sleeping.

6. I will not dispell the myth my kids have that I know everything.

7. I will be less tolerant of processes and projects that waste time.

8. I will not spend more than one hour a day reading other blogs or writing my own.

9. I will be unapologetically who I am every moment of every day, trying to make every moment a mindful one.

10. I will be prepared to spend less time at the computer if I meet someone who is sexy, intelligent, wise, gentle, open-minded, well-traveled and who has an ongoing interest in learning, conversations, sports, blogs and me. Oh yes - and who lives nearby!

Tags: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Aziz said...

I whish you a good 2006, and good luck with these resolutions!

1/02/2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Thanks Aziz (Paulo)!

1/02/2006 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous said...

Bev, thanks for mentioning my humble blog. I'm also working on a significant paper at the university level (a master's thesis in Latin American history), and I know hard it is to focus on doing it! Thanks for your thought-provoking resolutions.

1/02/2006 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home