Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Sarah Hussein Obama

Sarah Hussein Obama, from Nyanza Province in Kenya, is the grandmother of Barack Obama who looks like has won a seat in the US Senate for the Democrats in Illinois.

Barack Obama will be the 5th African-American Senator in US history and I've seen him tipped as a a likely candidate for the first Black President of the US. Not only am I interested in the guy because of his roots in Kenya (even though he was born and lived most of his life in Hawaii and then Indonesia) but he was also someone who loudly opposed America's invasion in Iraq at an early stage. He is a civil rights lawyer by profession and has an active history in development issues. I must hang on to some sign of hope in what looks to me like a future historic disaster with the re-election of Bush.

His name, Barack, means blessing in Swahili (which I think is, in fact, spelt "baraka") and, who knows, maybe we are seeing a potential world leader with a vision more people in the world will be able to identify with. I wonder what other languages he speaks.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Randomness said...

o darn excited I cannot even stop....this is why its important to give your children meaningful names. I also heard that his name means "anointed" - speaks for itself!! If I was in the States, I would try to vote twice ...just so the world sees some relative peace again!!!

2/07/2008 05:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home