Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Friday, April 08, 2005

Grupo de Fado de Coimbra

The sounds of Grupo de Fado de Coimbra are still ringing in my ears after a concert I went to last night. It's hard to imagine that three young men dressed in black with a Portuguese guitar and a classic guitar (viola) could make such a beautiful and moving sound.

When I first came to Portugal I was fascinated by how many ordinary people seemed to have such wonderful voices. I associate fado with opera or classic music, but it's a working person's music - although Coimbra Fado is different to mainstream or Lisbon fado in that it developed from university students and professors and is sung by young men.

Beautiful sounds and harmonies with roots in Arab, African and Brazilian rhythms, it was a wonderful evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home