Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Friday, October 28, 2005

Irrelevant

My research, my work, my identity aren't relevant at the Higher Education Institute where I work. I know because it's been to the Concelho Ciêntifico three times. No-one on the Conselho Ciêntifico has read either my proposal or any of my publications. It's not irrelevant because of the content (in the area of communication and learning in online communities) it's irrelevant because I'm an English teacher. Our school (of business) doesn't need English teachers with a PhD.

That's what the esteemed Conselho Ciêntifico said five years ago. The second time they rejected it because it had already been deemed irrelevant and therefore could not be reviewed. And the third time (I am persistant) after a debate of an hour and a half it was decided that, for procedural reasons, my doctorate could not even be an agenda item. Never.

I thought I had managed to get rid of the my depression and cynicism. It has cost me a lot on a personal level as well as financially, family and career-wise as I struggle to do it without any reduction in hours or financial or institutional support.

But now we have Bolonha. And now I'm being asked to take on the task of presenting the idea and supporting colleagues with teaching portfolios. In the final phase of writing up my doctorate I'm being asked to "pull together" because ... um ... because my work is irrelevant?

4 Comments:

Blogger São said...

E o que vai a Bev fazer?...

10/28/2005 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bev,

... o problema não é seres inglesa! O problema é estares em Portugal :-(

A maioria das pessoas que conheço, que acham que podem dar contributos ao nível da investigação em Portugal (sejam Institutos, sejam Universidades, sejam Laboratórios...) , estão a passar pelo mesmo problema... estou incluída na lista ;-)

Não deixes que quem está «instalado» na carreira te deixe ir abaixo. Vejo-te como uma lutadora, apesar de nunca nos termos encontrado :-)

Força!

10/31/2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

I didn't say "disallow anonymous comments". :-)

I think this post has a lot of potential for discussion - I'll send you a mail.

11/02/2005 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

When you say English teacher, do you mean a teacher of English, or a teacher who is English?

(Damned tricky this writing business)

11/10/2005 07:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home