Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Parallel universes

I chuckle every time I see the Caixa ad. on T.V. - Caixa being my bank and the large State bank in Portugal.



A young man gives his destination to the taxi-driver who is just getting into the taxi. On hearing the destination the driver stops dead in his tracks, peels off his sunglasses and looks at the young man. "Caixa?" he says. "You want to go to Caixa?"



Pause.



"You can get to Caixa via SMS. You can get to Caixa on the Internet.



But Caixa by taxi?"



The ad has a certain poignance. In my Caixa the ink and tissue sit on the "balcão" for clients who can't sign their name. I have stood at the counter with fellow-clients for whom the bank experience and the bank manager is a social affair. It has to be because they can't read the letters or the statements. Their business becomes our joint face-to-face concern.



How I find myself at the intersection of so many parallel universes! It's what I love and find so frustrating in my life in Portugal.



Tags: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

I never go to a CGD branch, despite it being my second bank, personally. I can't take the queues and sultry service.

Strangely enough, its my favourite business bank, with competent, dynamic management and proper delegation of responsibilities.

1/20/2006 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home