Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Second Carnival of Blog Translation

Following the First Carnival of Blog Translation, this is what happened in the second:

King Alfred of "The Bitter Scroll" translated A Linguistic Manifesto from Swedish into English. Johan Jönsson, talking from the Swedish context, talks about the degree to which linguistics is a science, what exactly a language is, and incorporating the inevitability of change into our own approach to language.

Johan's post Ett ideologiskt manifest is from his blog Månskensdans

In an interesting turn Susanne of Daipers and Music translates inner children and inner parents from her other blog written in German. She talks about waking up her inner parent to make some rules for herself. She refers to every journal entry she's made over the last week that begins "I'm so tired" and tells her inner child to go to bed on time.

The original post comes from innere Kinder und innere Eltern on her blog Windeln und Music.

João Vasconcelos Costa of Reformar a Educação Superior translated my post Limited by face-to-face where I quote a blog post of Leigh Blackall reflecting on how one-dimensional it seems to rely only on face-to-face connections between people. And I translated a post that João wrote about My mother who was also a teacher, which was in memory of his mother who recently passed away. A woman years ahead of her time.

The original post is Uma professora que também era minha mãe.

Although there weren't many of us at the party, we had a great time! I had intended to make a button for the carnival which we could put on our sidebars, but didn't have enough minutes in the day. The languages represented were Swedish, English, German and Portuguese. King Alfred will be hosting the next carnival - in his castle, I guess - on the 28th April. I'll be there for sure with JVC - we're hooked on this game!

Tags:

6 Comments:

Blogger JVC said...

Yes, Bev. Our two-member team is now well established, even if we have to do our own carnival.

Translating that post was a pleasure but also a challenge. I am used to translating technical or scientific texts, but these are very plain and impersonnal writings. Trying to minimize my own style to transmit the author's feeling is very difficult.

I guess you had the same problem with my post. I am sure you were much more successful, since tears rolled down on my face.

3/30/2006 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Yes, I think that's an interesting issue you've raised in translating other people's posts and putting them on your blog. How far do you let your own voice intrude in that of the author's? Especially when it's on your blog that has it's own sytle and voice.

3/30/2006 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Would you believe I've been working so hard I forgot what day it was?

I'll translate something tomorrow and link to it here in the comments... late for the carnival!

- Liz Henry
http://liz-henry.blogspot.com
http://literarytranslators.blogspot.com

3/31/2006 07:07:00 AM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Liz, I don't need any imagination to believe that someone can be too busy to forget things!

3/31/2006 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I just came across these carnivals and had a sigh for the greatness of blogging 10 years ago. Love, Liz

2/06/2017 02:01:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm sure we are all doing something great, even if it isn't quite this!

2/06/2017 02:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home