Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Thinking of Drupal

Before going down to a workshop in Brighton last week I spent the weekend in London to catch up on family and also to have an informal meeting about Drupal (Open Source Content Management System). Yes, I'm thinking of converting to Drupal.

I was with Nancy White and we met up with David Wilcox and Dan, and Andy Roberts and Robert Castelo, a developer for Drupal. I appreciated the different kinds of sounds and smells as we talked in the sunshine outside the Barbican Centre in London, walked round the market for our picnic together and shared our food goodies. A different experience all together than doing things with them from my sofa!

One of the things that most appeals to me about Drupal is that if I design a space, then it can be easily copied by any groups that I'm working with, which is what I think they do in Civic Space. My recent courses/workshops have been just that ... setting it all up, so that people can then replicate (and adapt) it in their own contexts. I would like to use Drupal, which incorporates Web2.0 stuff, as either a home or a springboard for a learning event.

However, the confusing thing about Drupal is that it can do so much. So my plan is to join with friends, learn and do it together and pay for coaching from an expert once a week. An important factor about Drupal is that it has a strong community around it for getting suggestions and help.

Roll on summer!

Tags: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Furness said...

Hello Beverly,

I've been using Drupal for many years now and have found it a hugely empowering tool for developing community websites. I would say it still lacks core functionality to run a social online space within it. For example, it's forum tools are very basic, but then it has really only been designed as a content management system which it does incredibly well.

Drop by Jonathan's Blog and my school site, Stepping Stones to see the software in action.

7/22/2006 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Thanks Jonathan. I've also heard other people talking about lacking the funcionality for social spaces. I must look more into that ...

7/23/2006 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home