Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Learning to talk with normal people

I'm on a mission to wean myself off the computer. I want to learn more about relating to people same-time same-place, in Setúbal, with no pre- or post-online phase!

So last night I agreed on the phone to go for a drink with a casual acquaintance, similar age to me but showing no signs of any addiction or personality disorder related to new technologies.

Half an hour into the conversation he asked if I wanted to go to his house. Puzzled I asked him why and he replied that he had a "barrote". Reminding myself that he wouldn't be referring to a new Mac widgit or an Ajax application I imagined that a barrote could be some kind of vintage car or whisky.

No, I can't go tonight I said, but another day would be great. Thanks!

The drinks finished and I returned home feeling like I'd successfully accomplished my first mission. A normal conversation over a beer in a bar.

This morning I discover that he was telling me had a hard-on, a stiff whatsit, an erection. Hmmm, without a spam filter or a delete key I can see that I'm going to have to learn a whole new set of vocabulary and way of talking to people.

Tags:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy White said...

I had a good laugh at that one. And see what you missed? Grin.

1/21/2006 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

Yes, the power of language hey!

1/21/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Aziz said...

Uau, I didn't think I would be learning portuguese from your blog! :D
In fact it is included in the Wikipedia as a Gíria Sexual term: Entalar o Barrote!
Charming!

1/22/2006 01:29:00 AM  
Blogger bev trayner said...

According to my son you can't beat Portuguese for the richness of its slang. And "Entalar o Barrote" has to be one of the most vivid (and macho) expressions I've heard for copulation (thanks Wikipedia)!

The way you say it, my Setúbal informant tells me, is 'Tou com grrande barrote.

1/22/2006 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

rotflao!
Didn't know that one.

Conjours up "is that a barrote in your pocket or are you just happy to see me".

Wonderful.

1/25/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Joitske said...

ha, ha, ha, great story!! (and blogs as a way to learn key words in all languages? :))

1/26/2006 11:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home