Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for Em duas línguas

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bilingual blogging in Portugal (Part III)

Oh no, I can't keep up. More people in the Portuguese blogsfera are talking about bilingual blogging. The posts and the comments they are generating are too interesting for words. I'm going to TRY (but can't promise) to translate as many as I can for the Carnival of Blog Translation on February 28th.

Odrakir.com asks (in Portuguese and English):
Since the begining of this blog, all my posts are written in English. I thought that writing in english I could reach a wider audience, because most of the portuguese readers that are interested on the topics I write about understand english and, for what matters, so is the rest of the world. But, am I depriving the rest of the potential portuguese readers? Should I write in portuguese? Does it make a difference? I would really apreciate some feedback on this…

And João Pedro Pereira reflects (in Portuguese) that although it's tempting to write in English he will continue to write entirely in Portuguese in an effort to avoid the weakening of other languages because of the standardisation of English and for some nationalistic pride.

A Arte de Blogar explores the advantages and disadvantages (in Portuguese although he also has a slightly slower English version of blogging tips), one of which got me chuckling aloud in its wisdom:
"Finally, in case you're thinking of writing in English, you should think about how good you are in the language. :-) If you see nothing wrotng in expressions like "my hovercraft is full of eels" or "all your base are belong to us", it's better to stick to your native language. You clearly don't want the attractive part of your blog to be due to sounding "exotic". :-)

I'm tagging all these blogposts in Del.icio.us under "bilingualblogging" if anyone else wants to share.

Tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home